Friday, April 01, 2005

That essay I promised.

Tonight's reading (Linda Newberry's The Firefly Gate) proved to be a ghost story not a time travel novel. Very good but nothing for me to post here. So instead I finally got my act together and posted the promised paper I delivered in Nova Scotia. I've tidied it up only minimally. It's still raw thought and bits of it don't link, don't make sense or don't really work at all. But here you go. Nova Scotia Essay.

If you feel like commenting, it makes more sense to comment here than over at the essay.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you seem to have put up three copies of the
blog entry. that is some enthusiastic
blogging...

1:24 PM  
Blogger Farah said...

Aaargh! It's something to do with the link here. It keeps happening but usually shows up when I do "view". This time I was in too much of a hurry to check (went to see Be Cool--still not sure if it's a good movie).

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting essay. It certainly chimes with my experience as a girl in the 60s/70s, reading sf often written decades earlier. I was not interested in material which dealt with the everyday/domestic.
I also read historical novels, particularly of the Rosemary Sutcliffe, Henry Treece genre very voraciously. I'm not sure whether you'd consider those outward or inward looking. They certainly do the same kind of world building you find in some science fiction.

I always knew Andre Norton was a woman. I don't think as a child the sex of the author was important to me, but I guess it might be to boys (JK Rowling?)

Beverley

3:57 AM  
Blogger Farah said...

It seems to only let me delete your comments forever, so I've done that with the indicated removals

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home