Monday, September 10, 2007

The Changes Trilogy by Peter Dickinson

The Weathermonger, 1968.
Heartsease, 1969.
The Devil's Children1970.

Too famous to really be worth describing I have only two things to say:

1) If anyone out there read them in publication order first, and remembers doing so, I'd really like to talk to them.

2) Someone *please* reprint them! They are as fresh and brilliant as I remember, and astonishingly they haven't dated at all. The last imprint is 2003 in the UK. They need a US imprint and glossy new covers.

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Sherman said...

My daughter just read these after I forced them on her. She liked them. I was confused because I started at the beginning of her newly obtained copy and had no memory of it. Because of the publication order I had in fact never read Devil's Children although it was surely in print by the time I read the series.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did first read them in publication order, but it was over 30 years ago so my memories are on the hazy side.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I've read anything by Peter Dickinson. I see that the regional library system carries exactly five copies (2+2+1); I'll have to look them up.

re: reprints
From the library copies, it looks like they were reprinted in 1986. Surely they're due for another round?

3:39 PM  
Blogger Andrew Wheeler said...

I was going to reply haughtily that they did have a recent US publication (in a one-volume edition), and that I reprinted them...and then I realized that "recent" edition was from 1991 (!)

Time sneaks up on when you're not looking.

They're certainly due; I'm surprised they haven't had separate US reprints in the current YA boom.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did. Peter Dickinson is an amazing writer, but I don't think these are even close to his best work - Tulku, The Blue Hawk, The Seventh Raven, um...the one about the girl whose self is inserted in a gorilla's body (astonishingly good).

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home