Monday, April 24, 2006

J.B. Stephens: Egg on My Face

OK, I couldn't find J.B. Stephens on the net, so I contacted Sharyn November at Firebird (a Penguin Imprint) and she put me in touch with Liesa Abrams (Razorbill, Penguin) and this is what she said. No names are given.

I'm happy to give you more info about how these books were written and by whom, but I wasn't sure if you were using this for something you're publishing? If so, I'd probably need to check with the packager and the authors to confirm before releasing their names, since it was all ghostwritten under the J.B. Stephens pseudonym

and, after I declined the actual names, this was followed with:


Book 1: Author A
Book 2: Author B
Book 3: Author C
Book 4: Author B



It was actually packaged by a packager, and the packager editor and myself did the plotting, so the story/character arcs were generated by us, and what these authors brought in was voice and of course little twists and turns in the stories .


aaargh!


And as I firmly believe the author is *not* dead but is alive, kicking and sitting in the front row, you can expect some kind of reconsideration of The Big Empty in the near-ish future.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you need to feel bad about this. The author's alive, but s/he is a distributed network. A lot of art is created that way (feature films are an obvious analogue). It doesn't mean you can't talk about the book(s) in terms of design, intention, execution, etc.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Farah said...

Agreed, but my argument was very much based on a single author interpretation. The causality in character twists for example is much more likely to originate in the tension between collaborating authors than in my "individual genius" explanation.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok here is a simply statement and a question.I don't care who wrote the books,I just want to know if there are going to be more of them.I am addicted,and the way they left the last book(#4) hanging with Jona still having the vial and still being alive there must be more !!!! Someone find out,pretty please !!!!!!!

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea true the ending to the fourth book just let alot of things hanging and I think that they should make a following series after big empty, see you don't know what happened to Irene's father and brother and aunt, you don't where Liza's uncle might have headed at,you don't know where tabori might be at, and you already know that Jonah is heading east to drop the virus when they thought he was heading south where it might be less dangerous but they think he's dead, but he's not and he sure is dumbfounded, so yeah they do need to make more books because the ending wasn't satisfying and I really like these books.Alot,I like the romantic parts specially between Diego and Irene.

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked the first two books. I have not found out the third book. The author could make it very big in making it or showing it to someone that could make it into a movie. Well if any of you have the fourth book can you please contact me: minniemousebella_12@yahoo.com

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. They seriously need to finish this series up. he ending of the 4th book left too many questions unanswered, especially the main one about Jonah (which is pretty much what this series was all about). I was completely taken by surprise when I saw that this was the end of the books. I'm sure if they wrote one just to finish it all up, a lot of people would be happier in this world.

2:35 PM  
Blogger lily said...

In a report should I refer to J.B. Stephens as a He or a She?

1:21 PM  
Blogger Farah Mendlesohn said...

Use "they".

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home